Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Recipe: Roasted vegetables and crockpot polenta

Polenta: Whisk 7 1/2 cups water with 1 1/2 cups cornmeal and a little salt in the slow-cooker. Cook on high for 1 hour, stir, and turn down to low for about 5 hours. You know the polenta is ready when a wooden spoon will stand upright:
When it is done add a half a cup of cheese (I used Parmesan), a half a stick of butter, and fresh ground pepper.

Roast vegetables: These are the vegetables I used, just because they were what I had on hand: carrots, onions, turnips, sweet potato (purple!), bell pepper, asparagus, and garlic. But really, you could use almost any vegetable that is in season. String beans are terrific, as are parsnips and fennel.
Cut the vegetables into chunks and coat lightly with olive oil (I do this by putting olive oil on my hands, and then using my hands to toss the veggies). I then added some fresh thyme, pepper, and coarse ground sea salt. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or so at 325. You can up the temperature and shorten the time if you're in a hurry. In the morning, use the leftover veggies in an omelette, and slice and fry up the cold polenta:(this isn't an omolette, but you get the idea)

No comments:

Post a Comment