Thursday, April 15, 2010

What I did instead of homework

Sunday was supposed to be a homework day. The "problem" was it turned out to be beautiful weather. "I can't just sit in my room and study all day," I thought to myself. So I loaded up my backpack with books, papers, and my computer, and went on a mission to find The Perfect Place to Study.

First, I took the bus into the city center. On my way I passed a market, so I had to jump off and check it out:



Nice, but no good place to study there, so on I went.


This is what Helsinki looks like without snow:

Come on, bulbs! You can do it!

About 3 hours, a yarn store, and a coffee shop later, I still hadn't found The Perfect Place to Study. I was trying, really I was! It was such a nice day out that I really wanted to be outside, but every park I went to was really crowded with people. So maybe I should go to the island of Suomenlinna. Yeah, I'm sure there will be a nice place to sit and study there!

People on the ferry over to the island.

Suomenlinna

The lighthouse/church (note how blue the sky is. how could I be expected to sit inside and study on a day like that?)

Big ol' chains

I spy a thrush!



The docks




I found a little sawmill on the island! It was just like the one we have at Warren Wilson.  So I just had to drink a beer at the woodlot (which is legal in Finland so I wasn't doing anything bad).

Chillin' at the woodlot in Finland. [I tried singing Every Rose Has Its Thorn to myself, but it still wasn't like hanging out at WWC]

Lumber.  So I wasn't technically studying, but this was still forestry related!

Apparently, I wasn't the first person to drink a beer here (but I did recycle my can)




I know I've already shown this picture before, but it makes a good comparison: On the left, four o'clock in January. On the right, eight o'clock in April. It's crazy how much farther north the sun is setting now.












Long shadows

Another comparison shot: The Baltic Sea in January, and the Baltic in April.













Swans



I did a little bit of studying here while I was waiting for the ferry!

So, the day was a bit of a wash in regards to studying, but I can't say it wasn't enjoyable (and educational as well, although I sure didn't learn much about linear additive utility models).

4 comments:

  1. is that a finnish sparks you're drinking?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooo that was me who posted as "work" (which is the Work Program). Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't ask for a more appropriate group to post that comment! Sadly, no. It's a gross Finnish beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I can't believe you can wonder around to all these great places in the course of a day. That other beer was probably from another student of linear additive utility models.

    ReplyDelete